Thursday, March 11, 2010

Trials and Tribulations of a Shopping-Ban(er).

I've seriously had little shopping/blogging motivation lately. I think I'm going through the "Stages of Grief and Loss (of pretty clothing)." You've heard of these, right? Here, I'll do my duty and detail them below.

1. Denial. "Ha! This isn't really happening. I mean, I can shop if I really want! I'll just forget about it... yeah!"

2. Anger. "Eff you, new arrivals at Nordstrom! I mean, I don't want you and your pastels... and your ruffles... and your pretty colors and layers and lace and cream and AO&#JHE** OA01!!04akjhe$#roq3uq208."

3. Bargaining. "Heh... uhh... ok if finish all my work this afternoon and get the house cleaning done in time then maybe I'll just get a necklace. Just one from F21! It's not even like shopping anyway! It's so cheap! It's nothing more than a few Whatchamacallits worth of money at the gas station! Yeah... that's what I'll do..."' (oh and don't pretend you don't like Whatchamacallits, those things are fantastic.)

4. Depression. "I'll never shop again. I'll never have new clothes again. My life is over. If I can't shop, then what can I do? *shoves Cheetos into pie hole.*"

5. Acceptance. [Disclaimer: definitely not here yet. Definitely cycling through steps 1-4 right now. I'll get back to you on this one later.]

It's a tough road to hoe, my friends. So in the absence of a current zeal and passion for fashion, I leave you today on a happier note. A tale of one girl who once could shop. And wore a pretty new top from Lulus that she adores. Sigh.

(Is it not pathetic that I'm only 2 weeks into this? Holy beejeebuz.)

Top: Lulus Resound Top
Jeans: AE Super Skinnies
Shoes: Boutique 9 blue suede bow wedges
Necklace: old from Anthropologie

(p.s.: I am in no way mocking the 5 stages of grief and loss and have a profound respect for the psychology of death. And I'm also being ridiculously hyperbolic right now. So please no hate-mail or referrals to shrinks, thanks.)

15 comments:

  1. I'm LOL at your 5 stages of grief and denial! I love whatchamacallits so much too and every time boyfriend stops at the gas station, I make him buy me one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHAH! You are killing me right now! This too shall pass...I'm right there with you regarding the bargaining. Giving up sweets is no pic-a-nic.

    Anywho...that top is just gorgeous on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You crack me up! I go two days without shopping and I go crazy.
    BTW I LOVE LOVE LOVE that top. Animal prints are our friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are too funny! I'm cracking up. And I seriously LOVE that top. Just think how good it will feel when you DO get to shop again :)

    http://theloveofshopping.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're hilarious. I was giggling reading this. So the top...I am coveting but I don't think I can pull off the tarzan style. I keep hemming and hawing and I can't pull the trigger. Maybe it's because I am afraid my arms will look like tube sausages. I dunno but props to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahah, I think these stages apply universally! You look absolutely fabulous, love the top!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been trying to not shop, because I can never make sense of myself or what I have. I just cleaned out my closet and boy do I have a lot of ugly stuff. I let the laziness of work get to me. Can you believe I don't own a single pair of black heels? Oh my word. However, that top looks hot on you! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! no black heels!? you need to invest in some, hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG, a shopping ban. I'm on the same thing. Trying to save for our wedding and my wedding dress (that's not exactly part of the budget, so, it's a seperate savings! ;) But it's soooo hard. I've taken to thrift stores and consignment boutiques just to get a 'fix'... and guess what?! I feel equally successfull when I buy something (that I really love) for cheap as I do when I buy something (that I really love) for more! $3 on a new shirt, once a week? Managable. But still....

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha, I remember saving for my wedding, too. I did a bad job. haha... I'm
    doing as a part of a "Catholic-guily/Lenten" thing. So we'll see. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. looking hot! You are so strong!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahahaha Justine I loved this post. I'm definitely cycling through 1-4 right now too. I'm leaving my retail job in a week and I think I will be forced to cave in order to take advantage of my discount for the last time. Ugh I am hating myself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. J-I feel you on this shopping ban. I applied to grad school and I'm waiting to hear if I got in or not so for the time being I've decided to save as much of my paycheck as I possibly can so I can have SOME money if I get in. If not - I'm buying something ridiculously expensive like a new LV bag or maybe some CL shoes! I wish I could go to Target to check out the L of London line but I'm afraid I'll break my promise to myself! We're in this together!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha! You're in a similar boat as me! I've heard from my schools and now I
    just need to make a decision, which might be the worst part. What are ya
    going to school for? Good luck with everything, and I hope you get in AND
    get some CL's. hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Business! I want to earn my MBA.

    ReplyDelete