Tuesday, July 13, 2010

OOTD: the daytime mini.

Don't you just hate it when you have a nice item sitting in your closet that you never wear? This happens to me way more than I'd like to admit. I have a tendency of buying things that I love but aren't super practical. The only upside to this is that it really challenges me to step outside my usual boundaries and switch things up.

So as I was sitting at work today, daydreaming and... well, not really working... I remembered that I haven't given enough attention to my Rebecca Taylor cheetah print skirt. The reason is definitely because it's a "going out skirt." Even though I wish my life were more glamorous, it's pretty true that my weekends don't always allow me to wear my fun little numbers. What's a girl to do? Wear them anyway. And wear them for daytime.

'Course, there are no rules per se for wearing a mini when the light is bright, but I think the best course of action is:
1. Balance the legginess on bottom with some covered-upness on top. This is always a good idea, but more so during the day!
2. Keep jewelry toned down, or else it gets too dressed up.
3. Try flats or sandals instead of heels to maintain the laid-back air.

(note: This is not work friendly. Although somewhat-short skirts are OK in certain office environments, please don't think I pranced in to work today wearing this little ditty. But it's totally day-do-able whilst shopping or catching a nice lunch on a patio. On a non-work day.)

Top: The Limited tee
"Blardigan": Nordstrom BP (Frenchi) cardigan
Skirt: Rebecca Taylor cheetah print skirt (still around here, and cheap!!)
Shoes: Sam Edelman (from Anthro, winter '10) reptilian oxfords (on sale here)
Belt: Express 
Necklace: EPIC Apparel

And, umm, so, why didn't I know Ms. Taylor has an online site? With amazing sale items to boot? ::scurries off to online shop...::

8 comments:

  1. Yes! The return of the Blardigan :) surprisingly, my non risky self loves this look... great work --- off to the RT site ---

    ReplyDelete
  2. That skirt is so cute, and with the oxfords, the look is very chic.
    I cannot wait to wear my oxfords soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree completely. Very cute for a casual weekend, not so great for the office. :) Looks really great! I love how you balanced it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the oxfords with this look! Definitely perfect for a nice summmer day out about town. comfy, fun, feminine...all around chic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this outfit, but not as much as I am in love with your nook. Good job on both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the "rules" :) Very cute outfit, very balanced!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Call me a hoochie if you will, but I think this could be doable for work. But mind you I work on my feet in a nontraditional environment so yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I worked at a cute boutique, I would totally do this! But an office job
    where one is sorta a receptionist? Yeah, no. haha :)

    ReplyDelete